Tuesday, November 30, 2010

How to "B"

So, I feel like a total slacker.

Almost two weeks have gone by since my last Blog post, and the last one, I have to admit, I 'phoned it in', as my husband would say, which basically means I took the easy way out. Everyone has to do that sometimes, because life is really just too busy to keep up with everything...yes, even without kids.

And I have a lot to say about Thanksgiving. I may get to that this week, but something else has been on my mind the past few days, even before the news that Leslie Nielsen died. A coincidence, I watched the movie Airplane this weekend, which we had on VHS growing up, and I always loved.

What was amazing to me was the Elaine character, which was hilarious and so trusting in her male counterparts, and I found myself wondering this weekend, if women still can exist with what I think is a 'librarian', almost pushover type personality (though honestly, the older I get, the cooler I think it would be to work as a librarian). Most of my girlfriends are very strong women, and I'm not sure today's society would allow women to play the role of giving up complete control of a 'life and death situation' to a man simply because he 'is' without hesitation and without question.

And I saw something on TV last night that talked about the role that women play, and what's really hard is finding a balance between being someone who is too tough, and someone that is too soft, and who could be mistaken as a doormat. For better or worse, I'm somewhere in between (I think). I used to be a lot tougher, but I don't want to be too tough, because no one ever wants to be seen as a B. Being a 'mean woman' is really the worst thing you could possibly be...especially in the South.

What do you think? How is it best to 'be' a woman now, while being strong in yourself and in your home and workplace, and still remain 'soft'? And on that note, time to watch the Victoria's Secret fashion show (and a little Ani video below).

No comments:

Post a Comment