Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween: The Aftermath

The day after Halloween is kind of like the day after Christmas. You have all of this build up, you have a great day (and night), and then you are already thinking about what you want to be next year. (Tom Petty? Hmmmm. Ike and Tina? Maybe. We saw an amazing Tina Turner that inspired me ((and then I could dance to Tina Turner music all night.)) YES!)

So here's what we did:


Costume Number 1: Sammy Hagar. No, I wasn't kidding when I said I was going to be David Lee Roth and my husband was going to be Sammy Hagar. The chin strap goatee was key. And boy was he GLORIOUS. HAHAHAHA. And someone came up to us and asked if that was his REAL HAIR. So there it is. He could totally pull it off. And what surprised him even more was that I liked it and started talking about him growing his hair out. I stopped talking when he started looking at me funny.

IMG_4519

Costume Number 2: David Lee Roth. I'm not nearly as cool as my husband, I will admit. So I will just chalk it up to say I had an awesome time and one person at the Halloween party knew who we were. SUCCESS!

IMG_4530

The First Destination: Taco Boy in downtown Charleston. So we heard about a Halloween party downtown at Taco Boy, and considering I knew nothing about where we were headed, except that there is another Taco Boy in Folly Beach, I was wondering if we were headed in the right direction. But after we drove through a seedy part of town in which I maintained veto power on the destination for most of the way, I was pleasantly surprised based on the number of cars at the restaurant, and the sheer coolness of the place. A restaurant with a huge outdoor fenced area with tables, palm trees, an outdoor bar, glittering strung lights, and a rockin' reggae band, I was thrilled. Taco Boy. Equipped with a Yoda with a 5 foot head, and a couple dressed as 'Up!', in a house they totally built, with balloons flying overhead (who apparently won $1,000 after we left for best costume - but they seriously deserved it...we wondered how they would even get drinks). All in all, I'm so glad we made it here. Best. Halloween. Party. Ever. These peeps take Halloween to a level I've never seen. In a good way.

The Second: Triangle Bar. Headed home, we stopped at the Triangle, but after going to Taco Boy, it was hard to compete. Minutes later we were back in the car driving home to watch as much of the movie Misery as we could before bedtime.

Halloween: Day 2 (the real Halloween): Old City Jail Tour.


IMG_4532

So we booked a 7pm Ghost Tour here on Halloween. The sun was setting as we drove up. The ominous lack of lighting and decaying building exterior just looked CREEPY. And boy were we excited. Stories of dead bodies that were buried outside of the jail without gravestones were told, of awful conditions of the jail from the 1700's to the 1930's when the government finally said 'enough' and opened a new jail with electricity and 'necessities'. This place was beyond dreadful and spooky, and if there ever was a ghost in Charleston, I bet it was here. I mean, this place held one of the first documented female serial killers, who was an innkeeper that poisoned her guests with Oleander tea. Yikes.

IMG_4539

Stories of Solitary Confinement in the Prison. But what took the scary cake, was when we were outside the solitary confinement area of the jail, below a single red light that gloomily lit the room. I was standing there listening to stories of the 'living coffins' the prisoners were placed in for days, weeks, and months, which was their version of solitary confinement...when...something touched my right arm more than once, only to look over and see that the nearest person to my right was over a foot away.

We were told that many strange and unexplainable experiences happen in this place, all the time.

What did everyone else do for Halloween? Amazing or not, tell me about it!

 

2 comments: