Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Charleston Newbie's Guide to Halloween

sammy hagar david lee roth header

So, I had this idea over the summer to be 80’s rock stars for Halloween, because everyone loves 80’s rock stars…and in honor of my brother Tim, and my childhood memories of him jumping off the basement fireplace to Van Halen’s ‘Jump!’ over and over again, I’m going to be David Lee Roth, and my husband is going as Sammy Hagar, and we are going to argue all night about which one of us was better for the band (which, come on, we already know the answer to ;). I got some great digs in NYC last weekend (because people are actually CURRENTLY WEARING the same kind of things that David Lee Roth wore on stage back in the day).

You can bet your bottom dollar, however, I will not be jumping like ‘this’ on Saturday…

david_lee_roth jumping

Anywho, to get ready for the weekend here in Charleston, I've found 3 Super Cool Things to do this Halloween weekend:

1. Rock Out:

Who:  Band Of Horses (LOVE)

band of horses

Where: Performing Arts Center. North Charleston

When: 8pm, Friday, 10/29

Info: Tix are sold out, BUT, some are being sold on Craigslist for last minute peeps. And maybe the band will be hanging around town this weekend, which would also be a super cool Halloween sighting downtown.

Listen: http://www.bandofhorses.com/us/music/infinite-arms


2. Get Spooky (On the Town):  

What:  It’s a HALLOWEEN BASH

Where: Triangle Char and Bar, West Ashley, Charleston

When: Saturday, Oct 30th, Party starts at 7pm

Info: Live Music by the Green Levels
- $2 Triangle Bloody Red Brews
- Costume Contest at 11pm
- Prizes include 4 tickets to our legendary New Year's party & free bar tabs!


3. Get Spooky (Kickin' it Old School):

specialty-tours

What:  Have a more perfect way to spend 90 minutes before going out than a walking Ghost Tour in historic Charleston? I didn't think so. And Charleston is kinda spooky ANY evening, so I think Halloween is going to be very special.

Where: Historic, downtown Charleston

When: FUN walking tours are still available for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night through Bulldog Tours.

Info: Bulldog Walking Tours include:
- The Charleston Ghost and Dungeon Tour
- The Charleston Ghost and Graveyard Tour
- The Charleston Haunted Jail Tour
(Another one I won’t mention on my PG Blog)

Reserve: http://www.zerve.com/Bulldog/Ghost/calendar

What is everyone ELSE doing for Halloween? Dressing up as rockers, yes? No? Whatever you do, watch this first for inspiration:



PS - Kelly, Parker, and Stephanie, wish you were here. XOXO

3 comments:

  1. Love this one Laurie...and not just because you mentioned Tim and made me spit out my wine picturing him jumping like that. (he denies this behavior by the way) But it totally makes me want to dress up and come to Charleston for halloween! have fun! Are you HOT FOR TEACHER?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spookies moment EVER for me was doing the ghost tour of the old jail in Charleston. Dark, dark spirits there - will freak you out. You're in the right place for a haunt.

    Good luck on the costume. By the looks of the first band, your 2010 look next year might involve a whole heck of a lot of facial hair. :)

    Have fun. Send pix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin, I would love to party with you on Halloween sometime (anytime!). And yes, I AM hot for teacher, didn't you know? :)

    ReplyDelete