Thursday, December 2, 2010

What's Worthy of Being Thankful For

For the past two years, the holidays have been bittersweet for me.

I am a very mushy person, and where I am happiest is surrounded by family and friends. I get that from my dad...well, in the later part of his life when he realized what was most important was family and friends (and not his business), and though for 2/3rds of his life he forgot that part, I think he realized it when it was most important, which gave his kids fond memories as adults, and I forgave him for the years he forgot.

As long as the drive back to DC was (8 1/2 hours) for Thanksgiving, I didn't mind it. Not because my husband drove most of the way because for some reason my driving scares him (I'm an excellent driver...no I'm NOT rain man), but because I really enjoy listening to cheesy holiday music (and am listening right now) and I love catching up with everyone.

I love drinking wine on Thanksgiving...or champagne (which I also can't get enough of...because EVERY day should be a celebration...and every day is worthy of a little champagne), and yes, I love sitting in the 'sewing circle' catching up with the ladies in my family and having them give me crap about my cooking because I'm a horrible cook. The only thing I've ever been really good at is showing up with the booze. Isn't that really the most important thing? ;) Just kidding, but wine IS healthy for the memory and heart, and everyone needs a little boost, in my opinion. So this Thanksgiving was no different, when my mom, who is an amazing cook and who makes pies that cause people to give up their diets, strongly 'hinted' my deviled eggs looked like turds. That's cool. They were delicious. And guess what...she still ate those turds, and at the end of the day, only THREE were left out of TWENTY-FOUR. Best turds you ever had.

But I digress... Why are the holidays bittersweet? Well...when my dad passed away, now two and half years ago, I realized how amazing my friends and family are. And here's where I get mushy and tell you what I'm thankful for. My friends and family. I absolutely love them. All of them. I have never felt so loved and blessed than when they were there for me throughout the hardest time in my life, losing one of my best friends: my father. And the holidays remind me of how special the people in my life truly are because the holidays are when you stop and actually have time to reflect and think about how your life has changed, for better or worse, and to really count your blessings (hopefully) that you have such amazing people that you love and love you.




I'm thankful that I've been welcomed into my husband's family with open arms. I'm thankful that I have friends and family I can call when I'm sad or doubting, because I've always been the kind of person that needs a little reassurance, in every part of my life.

And I may just drive my husband crazy with the following Christmas song because I blast it whenever it comes on and won't let him change the channel, but to be honest, I don't care, because it reminds me of such a wonderful memory: of sitting in a Catholic Church in Jupiter, Florida, with my dad and stepmother on Christmas Eve in 2004, and the voices of what seemed like angels sang 'O Holy Night', and it was the most beautiful thing I've ever heard, and such a wonderful memory that I can always cherish. I hope everyone else was as lucky as me on Thanksgiving, and was surrounded by people they love. XOXO (that's me getting mushy)

6 comments:

  1. I love this post. I too lost my Dad, alittle over a year ago, and Ive just been a mess this holiday season. (I cried all Thanksgiving morning and literally was sobbing as I was stuffing the bird...it was one pitiful sight) And every night since then I cant go to sleep without thinking of him and shedding a tear. Ive let it get me down, but this little post was very uplifting and Im going to try to take on your attitude. My Dad would want me to...he was a true "Clark Griswald" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. turd eggs- mmmmmm

    so what are you doing for Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!! I made the blog!! I'm thankful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jackie: It's okay to cry. I cry all the time :) but while I'm doing it I remember all of the wonderful people that are still here. I think losing someone that is so important to you helps you realize life is precious and not take for granted people that surround you now. XOXO

    @Kristin: we are going to Nova for Christmas but are going to HHI on 12/27. We would love to see you if you guys are still there. XOXO

    @ Darcy: All you get is XOXO. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking as the maligned Mom in this piece, I must say that all I did was smile, with perhaps a kindly chuckle directed at the aforementioned INCREDIBLY DELICIOUS deviled eggs. The four-letter word mentioned here was never uttered by anyone at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. L,
    I am crying as I read this as I really miss Fred too. We got so close in the last couple years of his life when Asya came into ours. He was so supportive and he would drop by just to see her and find out how we were doing through all the trauma of almost losing her. I keep his prayer card from the funeral in my prayer book and think of him way more often these days than I did when he was alive. He was lucky to have a wonderful daughter like you.

    ReplyDelete