Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Best Historic Charleston Hotel & Fort Sumter

Picture 19

Last weekend one of my best friends came to visit us in Charleston with her husband and kids, and of course, I carefully selected things to do so she would decide in the three day visit that her husband should practice a different type of law that would allow them to move to Charleston. Since they brought all three kids, it would've been almost impossible for them to stay in our small townhouse during their visit, and I would have constantly run around frantically to ensure none of my things got broken...I have way too many breakable things. My house is not what one would call 'child proof'.

Picture 20

So they stayed at the Embassy Suites Hotel in Historic Charleston, which is in an awesome location, right next to Marion Square, which always has something going on. When they arrived on Friday there was a movie in the park playing in the evening and every Saturday morning there is the Charleston farmers market, which I went to for the first time last week. It was the most amazing farmers market I've ever seen. Jewelry, homemade pickles, fresh lemonade, purses, southern wide-brimmed hats, and of course grass fed beef, local greens and everything else you would expect from a farmers market. My friends had a view of everything going on in the square from their room, and the kids even got to play on a moon bounce type of thing. The hotel was perfect for their family, since it had a separate living room and bedroom area, so we could drink wine in the evening in the suite's living room, while the kids slept in the bedroom. And every evening they had a manager's reception, which means that you just take your room key down and get free wine, beer, mixed drinks and snacks for a few hours each evening. I've never really seen a hotel do that.

So the first full day of the visit we took a boat ride to Fort Sumter, which I've always wanted to go to, but it took a friend visiting to go. I am what you would call a 'light' history buff, meaning I like to read the cliff notes of things, know enough about history to be able to talk intelligently about it, but most of the time I'm more interested in pop culture in US Weekly. But seriously, how do you get three little kids interested in anything more than the boat ride, the large grassy area at Fort Sumter where they can run around, or the miniature re-creation of the fort and various battle scenes. Luckily, baby snow white was with us to make things more fun for the kids. Like most museums, Fort Sumter is more interesting for adults.

Picture 18

Picture 16

All in all, there were two highlights of our weekend, I would say, beyond the boat ride and tour of Fort Sumter:
1. Seeing a *gasp* 'double' rainbow (not iPhone generated, I swear!) from the window of Embassy Suites Historic Charleston over Marion Square
2. Sullivan's island, where we spent most of Sunday playing in the water (and alas, I took no pictures), making sand castles out of shells (we found TWO sand dollars), and meeting some really great, welcoming people that were happy to share their drinks and snacks with my friend's kids. I am constantly amazed by southern hospitality and how wonderful people are here in Charleston.



 Marion Square at Embassy Suites, Historic Charleston, a hotel in downtown Charleston
 

1 comment:

  1. We loved it!! We're already planning our trip for next year!

    ReplyDelete